Tax Services

While the USP attorney can answer general questions about the immigration consequences of certain tax crimes, and the immigration consequences of filing taxes as a non-resident, no one at the Undocumented Student Program can legally give tax advice or help individuals with filling out tax returns.

Individuals who need more information with regards to their tax obligations should peruse the following resources from our partners:

Please note that individuals who have no legal status, and individuals with DACA, are exempt from paying the healthcare penalty.

If students or parents need low-cost or free tax preparation assistance, they should consider the following options in their area:

To find out if you are required to file taxes, please use this chart from the IRS:

Table 1-1. 2016 Filing Requirements for Most Taxpayers

IF your filing status is… AND at the end of 2016 you
THEN file a return if
your gross income
was at least…**
single under 65 $10,350
65 or older $11,900
married filing jointly*** under 65 (both spouses) $20,700
65 or older (one spouse) $21,950
65 or older (both spouses) $23,200
married filing separately any age $4,050
head of household under 65 $13,350
65 or older $14,900
qualifying widow(er) with dependent child under 65 $16,650
65 or older $17,900
* If you were born on January 1, 1952, you are considered to be age 65 at the end of 2016. (If your spouse died in 2016 or if you are preparing a return for someone who died in 2016, see Pub. 501.)
** Gross income means all income you received in the form of money, goods, property, and services that isn’t exempt from tax, including any income from sources outside the United States or from the sale of your main home (even if you can exclude part or all of it). Don’t include any social security benefits unless (a) you are married filing a separate return and you lived with your spouse at any time during 2016 or (b) one-half of your social security benefits plus your other gross income and any tax-exempt interest is more than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly). If (a) or (b) applies, see the instructions for Form 1040 or 1040A or Pub. 915 to figure the taxable part of social security benefits you must include in gross income. Gross income includes gains, but not losses, reported on Form 8949 or Schedule D. Gross income from a business means, for example, the amount on Schedule C, line 7, or Schedule F, line 9. But, in figuring gross income, don’t reduce your income by any losses, including any loss on Schedule C, line 7, or Schedule F, line 9.
*** If you didn’t live with your spouse at the end of 2016 (or on the date your spouse died) and your gross income was at least $4,050, you must file a return regardless of your age.

The Undocumented Student Program does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services. Therefore, mention of commercial products, processes, or services on our Web site cannot be construed as an endorsement or recommendation.